Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
I believe that each client relationship is unique, and I see my role as co-creating a healing space that assists you in living your most authentic, creative, and satisfying life. It is deeply inspiring and moving for me to assist you on your sacred journey of healing.
I bring deep empathy and compassion from my own personal journey of healing to my work and have a gentle, guiding presence which supports you in doing the emotional healing you are looking for. In each session, I use my creativity, inspiration, and skill to aid you in moving toward the goals you seek. I am a long-time yogi, visual artist, dancer, and musician. In addition to the philosophy of yoga, I am also strongly interested in earth-based wisdom and spirituality. These personal interests deeply inspire me and inform my therapy work.
A psychotherapist at our Center since 2008, I work with a diversity of clients who bring a wide range of issues to me. Skilled in assisting adults, as well as couples, children, and teens, I work with a variety of relationship configurations, including polyamorous relationships and families of all types. I am LGBTQQI affirming, supporting those who are exploring or wanting to feel comfortable with sexual identity and gender issues, including transgender, queer, lesbian, gay, and questioning people. Versed in cross-cultural issues, race, ethnicity, 3rd culture issues, and inter-generational trauma, I also work with international clients via secure video chat and in-person.
My method of working is firmly grounded in Humanistic Therapy, Expressive Arts Therapy, Jungian and Transpersonal Psychology, as well as Family Systems, Experiential, Somatic and Gestalt approaches, Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), and Addictions and 12-step recovery work. I am a Licensed Clinical Staff Member at the Center for Creative Growth, as well as a Supervisor in our Therapist Training Program.
Particular issues I am skilled at working with are:
- Self-love and compassion
- Shame and self-loathing
- Quieting the critic and uncovering the shadow
- Healing the hurt inner child and liberating the wonder child
- Trauma – complex, childhood, sexual, physical, emotional
- Creating healthy relationships - improving current relationships, ending unhealthy or unsatisfying relationships, partner selection, communication, boundaries , sexual issues
- Parenting issues
- Assisting teens and their families navigate the challenging teen years
- Anxiety and Depression
- Addictions or compulsive behavior surrounding: alcohol, drugs, co-dependency, sex, love, spending, under-earning, over-working, and other addictions
- Recovery via use of the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12-step programs
- Grief, loss, and transitions
- Spiritual unfolding – supporting the client’s own spiritual or religious orientation or search
- Living more creatively and finding one’s passion – in work, life, the arts, and relationships
I use a number of modalities to aid in healing, including:
Expressive Arts Therapy – using the arts, symbol, metaphor, and imagery through visual art, music, drama, movement, poetry, storytelling, dreams, and guided imagery.
Somatic based therapies – including body awareness, Focusing, and Eyes Closed Work.
Relational – which uses the relationship between therapist and client as a place to practice healthy relationship skills through building safety, depth, and honest communication together.
EMDR - Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, which is especially beneficial to healing trauma.
Mindfulness practices – allowing you to become aware of, and release, the thoughts and feelings that create and contribute to depression, anxiety, stress, and other emotional states.
A Demonstrated Record of Professional Excellence
M.A., Counseling Psychology with an emphasis in Expressive Arts Therapy – California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco
B.A., Women’s Studies, Art, and Activism – College of Santa Fe, New Mexico
Member, International Expressive Arts Therapy Association
Clinical Member, California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
Adjunct Faculty, California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, 2010-2014